DODITAL DARWA PASS
Discovering the Dodital-Darwa Pass Adventure
From Uttarkashi to Uttarkashi
- +5% GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Rs 290 Insurance (mandatory)
- Rs 2,500 extra transportation from (Dehradun to Dehradun)
TALK TO AN EXPERT
Nestled deep within the heart of Uttarkashi, the Dodital-Darwa Pass trek beckons adventurers to explore the pristine beauty of the Assi Ganga Valley. This captivating 40-kilometer journey unfolds like a story, beginning in the quaint village of Agoda and leading intrepid souls to the mesmerizing Dodital Lake, cradled at an elevation of 3,024 meters. From there, it ascends further to the majestic Darwa Pass, reaching a towering height of 4,151 meters.
Dodital Lake, known locally as Ganesha-katal or “Dhundhital,” holds a sacred allure as the mythical birthplace of Lord Ganesha. This freshwater gem is not only a place of spiritual significance but also the primary source of the Assi Ganga River, which gracefully merges downstream with the Bhagirathi.
In the winter months, Dodital transforms into a wonderland, its emerald waters framed by a pristine blanket of snow. Here, a Ganpati temple stands sentinel, a testament to the spirituality that permeates this serene landscape.
The journey to Dodital unfolds through enchanting vistas of mountain villages, dense forests, and lush greenery, with clear streams and rugged rock formations dotting the path. As you ascend, you’ll find yourself surrounded by a captivating tapestry of pine, deodar, golden oaks, and silver oaks, guiding your way to the ethereal Dodital.
But the real adventure begins as you push higher to Darwa Pass, a lofty vantage point that rewards trekkers with breathtaking views of Mt. Bandarpoonch, Mt. Srikanth, DraupadikaDanda, Mt. Jaunli, Deoli, and Black Peak. This pass serves as a gateway to Yamunotri via Hanuman Chatti, a route steeped in ancient pilgrimage traditions.
The Dodital-Darwa Pass trek is an exhilarating undertaking, offering both spiritual fulfillment and a challenge that tests your acclimatization skills, particularly during the winter months when the pass is blanketed in knee-deep snow.
14,999 INR / Per Person
From Uttarkashi to Uttarkashi
- +5% GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Rs 290 Insurance (mandatory)
- Rs 2,500 extra transportation from (Dehradun to Dehradun)
TALK TO AN EXPERT +91-8089693825
- Your adventure begins as you depart from Dehradun in the early morning, embarking on a journey into the heart of the Himalayas.
- The road takes you to Sangam Chatti, the gateway to this captivating trek.
- This initial leg of the journey involves a picturesque drive through the Himalayan foothills.
- Upon reaching Sangam Chatti, a charming village, your trek commences.
- Today’s trail covers approximately 5 kilometers, revealing the first glimpses of the breathtaking scenery that lies ahead.
- It takes about 3-4 hours to reach Agoda, nestled amidst the lush greenery of the mountains.
- As you settle into your campsite in Agoda, the serenity of the surroundings sets the tone for your trekking adventure.
- The second day of your journey commences with an early start, venturing deeper into the Himalayan wilderness.
- The trail takes you from Agoda to Manjhi, a pristine meadow adorned with natural beauty.
- The distance covered today is approximately 7-8 kilometers, and the trek typically takes 4-5 hours.
- Arriving at Manjhi, you are greeted by the tranquil ambiance of the meadow, surrounded by towering peaks.
- Here, you’ll set up camp for the night, taking in the serene atmosphere of the Himalayas.
- After a hearty breakfast, you set out on a new day of adventure, en route to the stunning Dodital.
- Your trek leads you through diverse landscapes, including oak, pine, and rhododendron forests.
- Keep your eyes peeled for the colourful and elusive Himalayan Monal birds as you hike.
- The journey today covers around 5-6 kilometres and typically takes 3-4 hours.
- Finally, you arrive at the captivating Dodital, a pristine lake surrounded by lush greenery and towering trees. Explore the lake’s surroundings, visit the Ganesha temple, and enjoy the reflection of pine trees in the crystal-clear water.
- Spend your time exploring the area and relaxing by the crystal-clear waters.
- The tranquil beauty of Dodital is a perfect setting for a restful day.
- Today is dedicated to relaxation and exploration at the enchanting Dodital.
- You have the opportunity to unwind, take photographs, and immerse yourself in the natural wonders of this location.
- Whether you choose to explore the surroundings or simply bask in the tranquility, Dodital offers a serene haven for relaxation.
- Overnight, you stay in the tranquil ambiance of Dodital, preparing for the challenges that lie ahead.
- This day begins with an early start and a challenging trek from Dodital to Darwa Pass.
- The trail takes you through steep ascents, where you’ll encounter streams, gorges, and dense woods.
- As you ascend, the landscape changes, offering glimpses of the snow-clad peaks that await at the summit.
- Finally, you reach Darwa Top, where panoramic views of the towering Himalayan peaks, including Bandarpoonch, Hanuman Tibba, and Swargarohini, greet you.
- The total trekking distance today is approximately 15-16 kilometers, and the journey typically spans 9-11 hours.
- The journey continues as you retrace your steps from Darwa Pass to Seema.
- Descending through alpine ridges and lush meadows, you’ll once again witness the breathtaking beauty of the region.
- The trek takes you through picturesque landscapes, offering moments of tranquility and reflection.
- After a fulfilling day of hiking, you’ll return to Seema, where you’ll spend the night.
- The trekking distance today covers approximately 5-6 kilometers, with a duration of 3-4 hours.
- On your final day in the mountains, you’ll bid farewell to Seema and begin your descent towards Hanumanchatti.
- The trek takes you through picturesque landscapes, where the beauty of the Himalayas continues to inspire.
- Arriving at Hanumanchatti, you’ll mark the end of your trekking route, having completed an unforgettable journey.
- From Hanumanchatti, you’ll proceed to Dehradun, where you’ll conclude your adventurous expedition.
- Today’s trek covers approximately 4 kilometers and typically takes 2-3 hours.
- As you return to Dehradun, you carry with you the memories of an incredible trek through the Uttarakhand wilderness.
Map Of The Trail
Price Inclusion & Exclusion
- Accommodation: Enjoy comfortable stays during your trek with accommodation in hotels, guesthouses, or dormitories, offered on a twin, triple, or dormitory sharing basis. When camping, rest in spacious tents on a double or triple sharing basis.
- Meals: We provide nourishing and delicious vegetarian meals. Our meals are designed to keep you energized throughout the trek.
- Camping Fees/Permits: All necessary trekking permits and woodland camping fees are included in the package, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
- Trek Equipment: We provide essential trekking equipment, including dining tents, kitchen tents, sleeping tents with mattresses, and sleeping bags. Utensils, ropes, micro-spikes, and gaiters (if required) are also part of our equipment offerings.
- Mules and Porters: Mules and porters are available to carry central equipment, easing your load and allowing you to focus on the trek.
- Qualified Team: Our team comprises experienced and qualified guides, cooks, helpers, and porters who are dedicated to making your trek safe and enjoyable.
- Basic First Aid: A basic first aid kit with an oxygen cylinder and a helmet (if required) is available to address any potential health concerns during the trek.
- Expert Assistance: You can always reach out to our experts for any queries or assistance during your trekking journey. Simply contact us at +91-8089693825.
- Transportation: Transportation from Dehradun to the basecamp and back to Dehradun is not included in the package.
- Backpack Offloading: If you prefer to offload your backpack, an additional fee of INR 1050 per bag applies.
- Mules or Porters for Personal Bags: The service of mules or porters to carry personal bags is not included and can be arranged at an extra cost.
- Emergency Costs: Any expenses arising from emergencies during the trek are not included in the package.
- Tips: Tips for the trekking team are optional and not included in the package.
- Items Not Mentioned: Any expenses or items not mentioned in the inclusion section are not covered.
- Stay at Dehradun: Accommodation and meals in Dehradun on the last day of the trek are not included.
- Meals During Transportation: Meals during transportation are not included.
- GST: A 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST) is applicable and not included in the package.
Things To Carry
- 45-60 Ltr Bag Pack With Rain Cover & Comfortable Straps: Choose A Spacious Backpack With A Rain Cover And Comfortable Straps To Carry Your Essentials.
- Hot & Cold Water Bottle Like Borosil & Milton: Stay Hydrated With Hot And Cold Water Bottles, Such As Borosil And Milton, To Keep Your Beverages At The Right Temperature.
- Snacks Like Energy Bar, Dry Fruits & ORS: Pack Energy-Boosting Snacks Like Energy Bars, Dry Fruits, And ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) To Keep Your Energy Levels Up During The Trek.
- Personal Medical Kit: Bring A Personal Medical Kit With Essential Supplies For Any Minor Health Concerns That May Arise.
- At Least 3/4 Full Sleeves (Non-Cotton): Opt For Non-Cotton Full-Sleeve Shirts To Protect Your Arms From The Elements.
- 1 Full Fleece T-Shirt: A Fleece T-Shirt Provides Warmth And Comfort In Chilly Weather.
- 1 Fleece Jacket (Woollen Or Sweater): Keep Warm With A Fleece Jacket Or Woollen Sweater.
- 1 Down Feather/Hollofil Jacket: A Down Feather Or Hollofil Jacket Offers Excellent Insulation Against The Cold.
- 1 Waterproof Jacket/ Poncho: Be Prepared For Rain With A Waterproof Jacket Or Poncho.
- Thermal Inners (Upper And Lower) - 1 Pair: Thermal Inners Provide An Extra Layer Of Warmth.
- 2 Trek Pants (Avoid Shorts & Denim Pants): Trek Pants Are Comfortable And Suitable For Trekking Conditions.
- 1 Pair Waterproof Gloves: Waterproof Gloves Keep Your Hands Dry And Warm.
- 1 Pair Woollen Gloves: Woollen Gloves Provide Additional Warmth.
- 1 Sun Cap: Protect Yourself From The Sun With A Sun Cap.
- 1 Woollen Cap: Keep Your Head Warm With A Woollen Cap.
- 2 Pairs Of Sunglasses (U/V Protected): Sunglasses With UV Protection Shield Your Eyes From Harmful Rays.
- 1 Waterproof & High Ankle Trekking Shoes: Quality Trekking Shoes With Waterproofing And Ankle Support Are Essential.
- 1 Pair Of Floaters: Comfortable Floaters Are Perfect For Resting Your Feet After A Day Of Trekking.
- 4 Pairs Of Cotton Socks: Bring Cotton Socks For Comfort During The Trek.
- 1 Pair Of Woollen Socks: Woollen Socks Provide Warmth In Cold Conditions.
- Hand Sanitizer & Sunscreen Lotion: Maintain Hygiene With Hand Sanitizer And Protect Your Skin With Sunscreen Lotion.
- Toothbrush And Toothpaste: Basic Dental Hygiene Items Are A Must.
- Toilet Paper And Wet Wipes: Carry Toilet Paper And Wet Wipes For Convenience During The Trek.
- Quick Dry Towel: A Quick-Dry Towel Is Compact And Useful For Freshening Up.
- Lip Balm & Antibacterial Powder: Protect Your Lips With Lip Balm And Maintain Hygiene With Antibacterial Powder.
- 2 Neck Gaiters (Buff): Neck Gaiters, Like Buffs, Keep Your Neck And Face Covered.
- Moisturizer: Keep Your Skin Moisturized In Varying Weather Conditions.
How To Reach
Best Time To Travel
The best time to visit Dodital is from April to November, offering a pleasant climate for trekkers and nature enthusiasts.
However, for the more adventurous, Dodital can also be explored during the winter months when heavy snowfall transforms the landscape into a pristine wonderland, providing a unique and challenging trekking experience.
Whether you prefer the vibrant hues of spring, the lushness of summer, the colorful foliage of autumn, or the winter’s icy charm, Dodital has something to offer throughout the year.
More Info about Dodital & Darwa Pass
Dodital, nestled amidst dense deodar forests, is traditionally believed to be the birthplace of Lord Ganesha. This makes Dodital not only a picturesque natural wonder but also a sacred site for Hindu pilgrims.
A temple dedicated to Lord Ganesha graces one corner of the lake, attracting devotees who come to seek blessings and pay homage. The lake is sometimes referred to as "Dhundhital," which means "Ganesha's lake" (‘Dhundhi’ is another name for Ganesha).
The trek from Dodital to Darwa Pass adds another layer of spiritual significance to the journey. This trek route connects pilgrims to Yamunotri, one of the Char Dham pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand. Yamunotri is the source of the Yamuna River and is revered as the seat of Goddess Yamuna.
The temple of Yamunotri, built by the King of Tehri, Pratap Shah, in 1919, is a focal point of religious devotion. The Surya Kund, a hot water spring, is where pilgrims cook rice and potatoes as offerings (prasad). Nearby, the Divya Shila, a rock slab, is worshipped before paying respects to the black marble idol of Goddess Yamuna.
In both Dodital and Darwa Pass, you'll encounter a diverse range of flora and fauna. The flora includes alpine and subalpine vegetation like oak, rhododendron, and deodar trees, along with medicinal plants in Dodital. In Darwa Pass, lush meadows are adorned with wildflowers and grasses, such as rhododendron and gentian.
As for fauna, these regions are home to a variety of wildlife. In Dodital, you can spot the Himalayan brown bear, musk deer, and the vibrant Himalayan monal pheasant. In Darwa Pass, you might come across the Himalayan tahr, and a diverse bird population.
Yamunotri Dham: Yamunotri, one of the Char Dham pilgrimage sites, is located in close proximity to the Dodital trek. It's famous for the Yamunotri Temple and the origin of the Yamuna River. Pilgrims visit this sacred site to seek the blessings of Goddess Yamuna.
Uttarkashi: The town of Uttarkashi is the district headquarters and a gateway to many treks in Uttarakhand. It has temples, ashrams, and is known for its scenic beauty along the banks of the Bhagirathi River.
Mukta Top: Mukta Top is a beautiful trekking destination in the Uttarkashi district. It's known for its meadows, lush green landscapes, and stunning views of the Himalayan peaks. It's a great place for nature enthusiasts and trekkers.
Nachiketa Tal: Nachiketa Tal is a serene high-altitude lake located near Uttarkashi. It's named after Nachiketa, a figure from Hindu mythology. The trek to this lake offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
The Dodital Darwa Pass trek is generally considered to be of moderate difficulty. While it's not extremely challenging, it does require a reasonable level of fitness and it's important for trekkers to be in decent physical shape and adequately equipped to handle the challenges of high-altitude trekking in the Himalayas.
The trail involves both ascents and descents, and the altitude can be a factor, especially when ascending to Darwa Pass, which reaches an elevation of 4,131 meters (13,549 feet).
The terrain can vary from well-defined trails to rocky and steep sections, particularly as you approach Darwa Pass. Trekkers should be prepared for changing weather conditions, as it can get cold and unpredictable at higher altitudes. Proper acclimatization and physical preparation are essential to make the trek more enjoyable and manageable.
The Dodital Darwa Pass trek is considered to be of easy to moderate difficulty. It offers a mix of gradual ascents, steep climbs, and serene walks through dense forests and meadows, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced trekkers.
Sangam Chatti, the starting point of the Dodital Darwa Pass trek, is located near the town of Uttarkashi in Uttarakhand, India.
Dodital holds religious significance as it is believed to be the birthplace of Lord Ganesha, and it's often referred to as "Dhundhital," meaning "Ganesha's lake" in Hindu mythology. Apart from its religious importance, Dodital is renowned for its natural beauty, serene environment, and pristine lake.
The best time to visit Dodital Darwa Pass is from April to November. During this period, the weather is pleasant, and the trekking routes are accessible. However, adventurous trekkers can also explore the region during winter, but it requires preparation for colder conditions and snow.
While trekking in the Dodital Darwa Pass region, you can enjoy stunning views of several Himalayan peaks, including Bandarpuch, Swargarohini, Srikanth, Draupadi ka Danda, and Jaonli Peak.
The nearest ATM to Sangam Chatti is typically located in the town of Uttarkashi. Trekkers are advised to withdraw cash and make necessary financial arrangements before starting the trek.
The Dodital Darwa Pass trek typically spans over a duration 7 days, covering approximately 40-45 kilometers in total.
Charging points for electronic devices may not be available during the trek. It is advisable to carry power banks or portable solar chargers if you need to charge your devices. However, remember that access to electricity may be limited in remote areas.
Dodital is situated at an altitude of approximately 3,307 meters (10,849 feet) above sea level, while Darwa Pass reaches an elevation of about 4,131 meters (13,552 feet).