CHOPTA TUNGNATH TREK
A perfect blend of snow and scenic beauty
Snow white panoramic view of mountains surrounded by lush green and various types of forest trees, a soothing sunset, more human connection, less digital distraction, a road to moon rock, and chilly mornings that can leave a lasting impression on one’s soul. That’s how we describe the beauty of Chopta Village and Chandrashilla Peak.
Chopta is majorly famous for Tungnath temple which is known as the world’s highest Shiva temple located at an altitude of 3,690 m (12,106 ft) and Chandrashilla Peak. The meaning of Chandrashilla is moon rock and from there we can see Nanda Devi Peak, the Himalayan ranges, and Kedar Peak.
In spring around March- April the beauty of this place has a unique charm as it is a peak time for rhododendrons to bloom fully in pink and red colors which is a scenic view along the complete trail. If you are visiting in springtime locals will even give you the experience of fresh rhododendron juice which they prepare organically on their own.
Chopta Chandrashilla trek has different charms in different seasons be it winter, summer, and spring.
We will kick start our journey from Rishikesh which is known as the yoga capital of the world. From Rishikesh, we will go to Sari village (192km driving distance) via Devprayag which is a sangam of the Bhagirathi & Alaknanda rivers.
Sari village is the base camp for a beautiful Deoriatal trek and it is away from the hustle and bustle of people and a place for peace lovers.
Deoriatal is a 3km trek from Sari village basecamp it is a beautiful trail surrounded by peach orchards and gives a charming view of terraced fields. Additionally, according to a well-known Mahabharat tale, Yaksha is said to have questioned the powerful Pandavas from Deoria Tal. Locals claim that Bheem of the Pandavaas built this lake to quench his thirst. Yudhister, the smartest of the Pandavas, urged that Bheem build the lake.
Altogether Deoriatal & Chandrashilla trek gives a peaceful and highly spiritual & positive vibes and it is one of the soul-soothing treks for all trek lovers. A highly scenic place for all sunset and sunrise lovers, families, couples, and solo travelers.
Having a local trek guide is like a cherry on the cake for your journey as they provide a more local & authentic experience hence we at Himalayan Dream Treks are a perfect match for you if you are looking for an authentic village, food, culture, and a great local experience.
Are you ready to refresh and recharge your soul? Heal yourself from digital psychological distractions? And give yourself a lifetime of memories? Then join us and create a story for yourself that you will remember rest of your life.
- Meet us at Rishikesh and from there we will start our journey to Sari
- In between you will see Devprayag, Ukhimath, Rudraprayag, and Sangam of Alaknanda & Bhagirathi at Devprayag.
- Reach Sari Village in the evening and take a rest
- Wake up early in the morning if you don’t wanna miss the beautiful sunrise view and get ready for the trek
- Have your breakfast, pack your water bottle and essentials then start your trek to Deoria Tal
- In between you will find Omkar Ratneshwar temple don’t forget to fold your hands and pray there also are local shops where you can get lunch/snacks in case you don’t wanna pack your food
- After trekking for 3km you will reach Deoria Tal, a small beautiful lake surrounded by green meadows and mountains
- Relax there, enjoy the view, capture moments, and then in the evening reach back to your stay at Sari
- From Sari drive about 20 KM to Chopta village early morning
- On this route there are not any local shops in between so pack your lunch, some energy-rich snacks, a water bottle, and trek essentials carefully as the trek is steep and will take more energy
- Reach Tungnath temple which is at 12,100 ft altitude and have an amazing feeling
- Tungnath Chandrashilla Peak is about 1.5km distance and the slope is a bit steep
- Finally, reach Chandrashilla peak and see the picturesque views of the Himalayan range comprising snow peaks of Nanda Devi, Banderpoonch, Kedarnath, Chaukhamba, and Neelkanth on one side, and the Garhwal valley on the opposite side and feel like you are at the top
- Feel the moment, Capture memories, laugh out loud feel a sense of accomplishment, and descend back to Chopta
- Reach back to Chopta then drive 20 KM back to Sari and rest for the day
- Wake up early in the morning and get fresh up
- Have your breakfast, click a group photo, and drive back to Rishikesh
- Reach Rishikesh say bye to your fellow travelers and collect a lifetime of memories
Map Of The Trail
Price Inclusion & Exclusion
- Transportation: Transportation from Rishikesh to the basecamp and back to Rishikesh is included in the package.
- Accommodation: Enjoy comfortable stays during your trek with accommodation in hotels, guesthouses, or dormitories, offered on a twin, triple, or dormitory sharing basis. When camping, rest in spacious tents on a double or triple sharing basis.
- Meals: We provide nourishing and delicious vegetarian meals. Our meals are designed to keep you energized throughout the trek.
- Camping Fees/Permits: All necessary trekking permits and woodland camping fees are included in the package, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
- Trek Equipment: We provide essential trekking equipment, including dining tents, kitchen tents, sleeping tents with mattresses, and sleeping bags. Utensils, ropes, micro-spikes, and gaiters (if required) are also part of our equipment offerings.
- Mules and Porters: Mules and porters are available to carry central equipment, easing your load and allowing you to focus on the trek.
- Qualified Team: Our team comprises experienced and qualified guides, cooks, helpers, and porters who are dedicated to making your trek safe and enjoyable.
- Basic First Aid: A basic first aid kit with an oxygen cylinder and a helmet (if required) is available to address any potential health concerns during the trek.
- Expert Assistance: You can always reach out to our experts for any queries or assistance during your trekking journey. Simply contact us at +91-8089693825.
- Backpack Offloading: If you prefer to offload your backpack, an additional fee of INR 1050 per bag applies.
- Mules or Porters for Personal Bags: The service of mules or porters to carry personal bags is not included and can be arranged at an extra cost.
- Emergency Costs: Any expenses arising from emergencies during the trek are not included in the package.
- Tips: Tips for the trekking team are optional and not included in the package.
- Items Not Mentioned: Any expenses or items not mentioned in the inclusion section are not covered.
- Stay at Dehradun: Accommodation and meals in Dehradun on the last day of the trek are not included.
- Meals During Transportation: Meals during transportation are not included.
- GST: A 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST) is applicable and not included in the package.
Things To Carry
- 45-60 Ltr Bag Pack With Rain Cover & Comfortable Straps: Choose A Spacious Backpack With A Rain Cover And Comfortable Straps To Carry Your Essentials.
- Hot & Cold Water Bottle Like Borosil & Milton: Stay Hydrated With Hot And Cold Water Bottles, Such As Borosil And Milton, To Keep Your Beverages At The Right Temperature.
- Snacks Like Energy Bar, Dry Fruits & ORS: Pack Energy-Boosting Snacks Like Energy Bars, Dry Fruits, And ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) To Keep Your Energy Levels Up During The Trek.
- Personal Medical Kit: Bring A Personal Medical Kit With Essential Supplies For Any Minor Health Concerns That May Arise.
- At Least 3/4 Full Sleeves (Non-Cotton): Opt For Non-Cotton Full-Sleeve Shirts To Protect Your Arms From The Elements.
- 1 Full Fleece T-Shirt: A Fleece T-Shirt Provides Warmth And Comfort In Chilly Weather.
- 1 Fleece Jacket (Woollen Or Sweater): Keep Warm With A Fleece Jacket Or Woollen Sweater.
- 1 Down Feather/Hollofil Jacket: A Down Feather Or Hollofil Jacket Offers Excellent Insulation Against The Cold.
- 1 Waterproof Jacket/ Poncho: Be Prepared For Rain With A Waterproof Jacket Or Poncho.
- Thermal Inners (Upper And Lower) - 1 Pair: Thermal Inners Provide An Extra Layer Of Warmth.
- 2 Trek Pants (Avoid Shorts & Denim Pants): Trek Pants Are Comfortable And Suitable For Trekking Conditions.
- 1 Pair Waterproof Gloves: Waterproof Gloves Keep Your Hands Dry And Warm.
- 1 Pair Woollen Gloves: Woollen Gloves Provide Additional Warmth.
- 1 Sun Cap: Protect Yourself From The Sun With A Sun Cap.
- 1 Woollen Cap: Keep Your Head Warm With A Woollen Cap.
- 2 Pairs Of Sunglasses (U/V Protected): Sunglasses With UV Protection Shield Your Eyes From Harmful Rays.
- 1 Waterproof & High Ankle Trekking Shoes: Quality Trekking Shoes With Waterproofing And Ankle Support Are Essential.
- 1 Pair Of Floaters: Comfortable Floaters Are Perfect For Resting Your Feet After A Day Of Trekking.
- 4 Pairs Of Cotton Socks: Bring Cotton Socks For Comfort During The Trek.
- 1 Pair Of Woollen Socks: Woollen Socks Provide Warmth In Cold Conditions.
- Hand Sanitizer & Sunscreen Lotion: Maintain Hygiene With Hand Sanitizer And Protect Your Skin With Sunscreen Lotion.
- Toothbrush And Toothpaste: Basic Dental Hygiene Items Are A Must.
- Toilet Paper And Wet Wipes: Carry Toilet Paper And Wet Wipes For Convenience During The Trek.
- Quick Dry Towel: A Quick-Dry Towel Is Compact And Useful For Freshening Up.
- Lip Balm & Antibacterial Powder: Protect Your Lips With Lip Balm And Maintain Hygiene With Antibacterial Powder.
- 2 Neck Gaiters (Buff): Neck Gaiters, Like Buffs, Keep Your Neck And Face Covered.
- Moisturizer: Keep Your Skin Moisturized In Varying Weather Conditions.
How To Reach
Best Time To Travel
Mid November- Feb it is fully covered with snow and a bit difficult due to temperature drops hence we will advise you to prepare well if you are planning to visit in winter. Night temperature drops up to -12 degrees sometimes and daytime it is between 7-11 degrees.
May-June Lush green all around and snowy peaks will give a bright and vibrant surrounding in summer.
Bright sunny days and pleasant wind touching your inner self is so mesmerizing. Summer is a good time to visit the trek as trails are all dried and no risk of slipping. Keep sunscreen, goggles, water bottles, and energy-rich food/snacks with you.
March- April is the time when you will witness everything at once, sun, rain, snow, and greenery.
It is the peak time for rhododendron flowers to bloom and you will find Chandrashilla trek trails fully covered with pink and red rhododendron flowers.
However, as you reach Tungnath from there up to Chandrashilla Peak you will find heavy snow in a 1km area up to the peak. Keep snowproof trekking shoes, a waterproof jacket, and nutritious food along with you.
Mid-September – Mid-November It is post-monsoon time and a pleasant time for trekkers. There will not be any snow at this time and trees are mainly shading their leaves and it is one of the good time to visit this trek as road conditions will be good.
July- Mid-September It is not advisable to visit Chandrashilla at this time because of heavy rain, landslides, and bad road conditions. The trail will be slippery and risk of getting injured and natural disaster damage might occur.
More Info about Chopta Tungnath
Beyond the mountains and scenic beauty, Chopta Chandrashilla holds cultural and historical significance as well. According to Hindu Mythology, The Chandrashilla Peak is believed to be the spot where Lord Rama meditated after defeating Ravana.
Peaks like Meru, Sumeru, Ganesh Parwat, Chaukhamba, Bandarpunch, Nilkantha, Trisuli, and Nanda Devi are some of the peaks that are visible from Chopta.
There are five Kedar temples dedicated to Lord Shiva in Uttarakhand which is known as Panch Kedar. The third of them is the Kedar Tungnath temple. This temple was built thousands of years ago by the Pandavas (Tungnath Mahadev) during the time of Mahabharata. Tungnath temple is the temple of Lord Shiva on the Himalayan hills between the rivers Alaknanda and Mandakini.
Deoriatal is known to be the bathing spot of devas. Additionally, according to a well-known Mahabharat tale, Yaksha is said to have questioned the powerful Pandavas from Deoria Tal. Locals claim that Bheem of the Pandavaas built this lake to quench his thirst. Yudhister, the smartest of the Pandavas, urged that Bheem build the lake.
If you are a religious and adventure lover then the Tungnath temple is a blissful and beautiful place to visit which is full of nature and peace. Tungnath temple is one of the best Shiva temples in the world.
The height of the temple is more than 12000 feet above sea level for this cause shows remains frozen on the mountain surrounding this temple.
Rhododendron Bloom: During April and May, Chopta and Tungnath Trek are dotted with red, pink, and white Rhododendron flower which is locally known as Buransh. You can drink fresh organic juice made by locals during your trip and even locals can show you how to make rhododendron juice organically which is great for healing inflammation, and liver ailments, reduces arthritis pain, bronchitis, and grout.
Oak, Maple, and Pine forests: Trees like, oak, pine, rhododendrons and other Himalayan species occupy major land parts of Chopta. You will see these along the trail as you begin your trek.
Meadows: Along the trek, you will see the lush green meadows which will give your eyes a mesmerizing view and will make you feel closer to nature and natural beauty.
Musk Deer: Uttarakhand and its forests are home to Musk Deer. 7km distance from Chopta there is a Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary which is home to musk deer.
Himalayan Monal Bird: You will see colorful and charming monal birds along the trail just pay attention carefully to them. It is a lovely multicolored bird that has a pleasant voice and gives a warm experience to see her.
Snow Leopard: Due to trekking activities it’s rare now to find them but Chopta used to be home to snow leopards back then.
- OmkarRatneshwar Mahadev temple in the route of Deoriatal trek
- Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary (Kanchula Korak Musk Deer Sanctuary – Encounter The Rare Himalayan Wildlife) is home to various species of flowers and vegetation. It is located 7 km from Chopta which can be reached through the Chopta-Gopeshwar road
- Sari village and it’s village tour
- Camping in Baniyakund which is a basecamp for the Tungnath trek and 4km from Chopta
Chopta Chandrashilla trek is a beginner-level trek with easy to moderate difficulty level. It is not a very long trek and one can cover in a day hence difficulty level is average. Because of the high altitude(12000ft), it will require good stamina and healthy energy levels to reach at peak overall it is an easy trek however winter or snowy times one needs to have proper snow boots and trails are a bit slippery so having good grip snow boots will provide a smooth experience.
It is situated in Uttarakhand state of India and 160km from Rishikesh.
From Chopta basecamp Tungnath is at a 3km trek distance at an altitude of 11006ft and Chandrshilla peak is at 1.5km distance from Tungnath temple at an altitude of 12000ft
March to June and October to November
In summer day the temperature is between 17 to 25 degrees and at night will drop around 3-9 degrees. In winter day time it is around 8-14 degrees and at night around -6 to -10 degrees. In Spring it is around 10-15 degrees at daytime and 1-3 degrees at night.
It is a beginner-level trek hence difficulty level is easy to moderate.
From December to March, you will find heavy snow in Chopta and this is a good time for snow adventures.
Nanda Devi, Mt. Trishul, Kedar Peaks, and Himalayan Ranges are visible.
Chandrashilla Peak is at an altitude of 12000ft.
It is a perfect starter trek for beginners and has low difficulty levels
Chandrashilla is situated at an altitude of approximately 12,000 feet (3,658 meters) above sea level. While it is not considered high enough for severe altitude sickness, we prioritize safety. We carry a medical kit that includes necessary medicines to ensure everyone's well-being.
In the Deoria Tal trek, there are few local shops and toilet facilities along the trek but in Chandrashilla there are no toilets between
In Deoriatal there are shops till the top hence you can charge your devices there but in Chandrashilla there are no charging points in between so it is advisable to carry your own power bank for charging purposes
There are no ATMs in Chopta and the last ATM is in Ukhimath 13km before Sari village so it is advisable to keep the cash amount with yourself.
Chopta Village and Chopta hill station are two different places in Uttarakhand. Chopta hill station is where the Chandrashilla trek starts and Chopta village is 77km distance from Chopta hill station.
Chopta Bugyal also known as Rohini Bugyal or Tungnath Bugyal is a cluster of Himalayan Alpine meadows and is 8-9km away from Sari Village.